UUC put up a fight against Skins

The University of Ulster, Coleraine, made the long trip to play Enniskillen RFC on Saturday hoping to bounce back from their previous lose but it wasn’t to be as the visitors lost 28-17 in a tight game.

The students came out looking to attack from the kick-off and did just that, running at the Enniskillen line and creating chances all over the park.  Enniskillen responded with some good play but couldn’t match the fast paced game the students were playing.  The deadlock was broken early with good running from the UUC backs allowing Gareth Millar to cut through the defence before offloading to a charging Calum Rowden who went over in the corner.  Lee Murphy stepped up and slotted the conversion to make the score 7-0.

Not content with the score they already had UUC continued to attack but were made to work hard by a resilient Skin’s team who continued defend well and crash the ball up the middle of the park with some good hands when on the attack.  Another visit into the Enniskillen half reaped another score when good forward work lead the ball to be whipped wide by the UUC backs and Millar once again provided when he chipped through for Rowden to win the ace to the ball and touch down for his second try.  Lee Murphy missed the difficult conversion and left the score at 12-0 to the visitors.

It was now Enniskillen’s turn to camp out in the student’s half and after a series of pick and drives forced their way over the line for a try which was converted to reduce the deficit to 12-7.  UUC worked hard in defence and repelled wave after wave of attacks but were eventually broken down when Enniskillen scored out wide to further reduce the score and the successful conversion that followed put the home side in the lead 14-12 going into half time.

UUC came out in the second half looking to start like they did in the first but a series of errors around the break down lead to Enniskillen working their way back into the student half.  They were awarded with their persistent efforts with a try after spreading the UUC defence thin, scored in the corner.  The conversion was missed but the home side now lead 19-12.  Errors at the ruck lead to Enniskillen furthering their lead with a penalty to take the score to 22-12.

With the students facing an uphill battle to get back into the game, they regrouped and attacked the Enniskillen line hard to attempt and reduce the score line.  Great play by the both forwards and backs as well as great handling lead to David Orr scoring in the corner.  Gareth Millar missed the difficult conversion.  The score stood at 19-17 in favour of the home side.

Mistakes stared to creep into the student game and two further penalties for Enniskillen increased their lead to 25-17.  With the students knowing a losing bonus point was within reach threw everything at the Enniskillen defence but it held strong and to wrap up the game Enniskillen scored another penalty to leave the score and the match at 28-17 in favour of the home side.

UUC travel to Lisburn RFC this weekend where they hope to take all the positives from this game and return to winning ways.

Leave a Reply