UUC Gun Down Stags

UUC Gun down Stags

The University of Ulster Coleraine returned to winning ways on Saturday (27-11-10) at Cromore Road with a bonus point win over Grosvenor RFC. It was the home side who came out victorious with Grosvenor struggling to break the UUC defence.

UUC made the first break when ill-discipline by Grosvenor gave away a penalty in front of their posts and Lee Murphy stepped up to give UUC an early 3:0 lead. Grosvenor worked their way into the UUC half and were awarded a penalty but it was missed. From the resultant 22 drop out Michael Dunleavy rose above the Grosvenor players and slapped back to Sam Hall who beat down several defenders to run UUC’s first try of the game in from his own 22. The difficult conversion was missed.

UUC continued to press the Grosvenor line and a penalty allowed them to kick for the corner and after a quick lineout John Lutton crashed over from the back of the maul for the second try of the game. Again the conversion was missed to leave the score at 13:0 in favour of the home side.

Both teams continued to trade attacks but neither could break the others defence. More ill-discipline at the ruck by Grosvenor gave the students another penalty. Lee Murphy calmly slotted the penalty over the posts to make the half time score 16:0.

UUC forced Grosvenor back onto their own line at the start of the second half and a poor clearance kick was caught by Sam Hall and after beating the opposition winger scored in the corner to make it 21:0.

Grosvenor continued to push for the UUC line but were continually put back by the students. Spreading the ball wide on the UUC 22 line Grosvenor got the ball out and their forward powered through three tackles to score in the corner. The conversion was missed, leaving the score at 21:5.

UUC took time to settle into their rhythm and after forcing Grosvenor back to their own line took a lineout 5 metres out. A great passage of play from the UUC forwards allowed David McCullough to score and win the home side the bonus point. Lee Murphy added the conversion to take the score to 28:5.

Both sides looked to add to their totals but both defences held up and at the final whistle the students had won 28:5.

UUC entertain Omagh RFC this weekend at Cromore Road looking to continue this winning form.

Press Releas By

John Lutton

Leave a Reply