Winning Start Too Cup Campaign

UUC Power NI 2XV match report

The first fixture of the new year saw the uni second XV play their first round match of the Forster Cup in good conditions against Academy 2XV of Junior 4.

The game started very even with both sides getting share of position. The first infringement came from the Junior 4 side and was in range for Jamie Ball. Penalty converted, 3-0. Shortly after from a lineout centre field the uni side passed the ball along the backs and a scrappy ball was missed by Chris Elliott playing 15 and the opposition wing kicked through to get a narrow touchdown from the chasing David McMenemy. Ball was regathered from kick off and penalty was awarded from the other side this time and Jamie converted again. Score 6-7, Uni worked their way down the pitch again with some tactical kicking from both Mark Thompson and Jamie Ball put the students deep into the Academy 22. Added pressure forced a mistake from a lineout and a few phases of play saw left wing David McMenemy squeeze in in the corner. Try was converted from the corner flag.

Half time 13-7

The second half was dominated by 1 team and it showed after the first score of the second half. Ball was passed out wide from Matt Hill to Chris Elliott who fixed the man and passed to David Mcmenemy. He then passed the ball back inside to Chris and finally back again just a few inches short. A pick and go from the forwards saw a big gap to the blindside where David again had room to dive over. From the kick off and excellent catch from Sam Hetherington, Jamie Ball saw there was no full back at home and box kicked deep into opposition 22, Dave  was unopposed and gathered the ball to run under the posts for a well worked tactical try and a hat trick! Academy stepped up a gear and put constant pressure on the uni goal line. Tight forward play eventually led to an overlap in the corner and Academy scored. Conversion missed. A sloppy chase by uni from the restart let the Junior 4 side back into our 22 and from that penalties were conceded but the attacking team chose to ignore the opportunity of 3 points as they needed tries. They tapped quickly a phase after phase let to a missed tackle with their number 8 diving over. Conversion added. Just as the game was getting close, with 9 minutes to go, momentum changed and the students worked their way up the pitch with penalties and clean lineouts from Angus and Phil Mclean working well. Tight play from the forwards led to a gap out wide where the ever reliant Nigel was waiting and dotted the ball down! Uni held on for another 9 minutes and the game was won.

Man of the match Jamie Ball for making every tackle, competing for the ball in every ruck and with possession always looking up for space and keeping the opposition deep in their own half from kicks and good service to 10.

Grovsner 3’s in 2 weeks at home for The UUC Power NI 2’s but good win against a strong opposition is lifting their hopes for another win in the cup.

Final score 30-17

Leave a Reply